NYC Moving Companies During The Shutdown – All You Need To Know (FAQ)
By Najah Ayoub
Moving companies are considered essential business and services in the New York City and therefore are able to operate. We can still move you. Stay on this page to find answers to all questions related to moving services during the coronavirus outbreak and NYC shutdown.
Moving Companies and Moving Services FAQ during the CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Executive Order New York City Shutdown.
1. Are moving companies essential “services” and “business” in NYC during the CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Executive Order New York City Shut Down?
Yes, moving companies in NYC that are fully insured and accredited are considered essential business and services under the categories of “logistics” and “storage”.
Which means Piece of Cake Moving & Storage can continue to move you. Our 24/7/365 moving services are in full operation supporting NYC residential moves. We can continue to move you locally and interstate.
2. Are NYC moving companies still operating and continue to work during the CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Executive Order New York City Shutdown?
Yes, moving companies in NYC that are fully insured and accredited can continue working through the NYC Executive Order Non Essential Business shut down. Moving Companies are considered essential business under the categories of “logistics” and “storage”.
3. Are moving companies considered for hire vehicles under the current CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Executive Order Shutdown?
Moving companies are not considered “for hire vehicles” under the current CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Executive Order Shutdown. Moving companies are “logistics” essential business services under section 12 of the Under The ‘New York State on PAUSE’ Executive Order.
12. Vendors that Provide Essential Services or Products, Including Logistics and Technology Support, Child Care and Services.Source: Governor.ny.gov
4. Can I move and use a moving company during the CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Executive Order New York City Shutdown?
Yes, you can move during the CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Executive Order New York City Shutdown.
However it is advised by state and federal officials that you consider if your move is necessary. We understand that you may want to move to a holiday house, want to move back home, want to move your parents in with you, already had a moved booked with an expiring lease, move your children back home from their dorm, under many valid circumstances moving can be valid during CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Executive Order New York City Shut Down. We advise that if you are sick, have had COVID-19 that you postpone your move.
5. Are buildings and landlords allowing moving and moving companies to enter during the CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Executive Order New York City Shutdown?
Some buildings and landlords are still allowing moving companies to enter and move their residents during the CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Executive Order New York City Shut Down.
Piece of Cake Moving & Storage has taken extra measures to protect the community, our customers and our staff through increased sanitization of our trucks and moving equipment. All movers are also required to wear masks, gloves and wash their hands after every move with hand sanitizer.
Our overs are also distancing themselves from the customer and respect our customers space and any additional requests a customer may have during the move. We suggest that you confirm with your building and landlord if they are allowing moving services during this period. You can advise them that moving is an essential service and business.
If you need to let your landlord or building management know that moving is an essential service you can share this link with them: https://mypieceofcakemove.com/moving-services-essential-nyc.pdf
6. Is it safe for me to move during CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Executive Order New York City Shutdown?
At Piece of Cake Moving & Storage your safety is extremely important to us. We have taken strong measures to ensure that when we are moving you that you are protected. However during this period we recommend that you consider if you want to and feel safe moving. Your safety is your responsibility and we can not be held liable if you get sick during your move.
7. Are Piece of Cake Movers and Foreman tested for CoronaVirus (COVID-19) and is it safe for them to move me?
At Piece of Cake Moving & Storage we run daily briefs with our movers and foreman regarding CoronaVirus (COVID-19) updates.
If any movers show or express any symptoms of CoronaVirus (COVID-19) they are advised to stay home and monitor their symptoms. They are not allowed to return back to work unless they have clearance from a medical professional and they have stayed at home for two weeks.
All our moving team members wear gloves and face masks throughout your entire move, they also use hand sanitizer after every move.
8. What is Piece of Cake Moving & Storage doing to protect their customers, the community and their staff during the CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Executive Order New York City Shut Down?
Since the Covid-19 outbreak, we have been vigilant of the safety of our customers and staff, taking the following precautions to protect you and our employees:
- Increasing the commercial sanitization of all of our trucks and moving equipment after every customer move.
- Providing all of our movers with disposable gloves and hospital grade hand sanitizer.
- Briefing Movers and Foreman daily on COVID 19 updates. If any employee is showing possible symptoms or if they have a flu they are sent home and can not return without a certificate from a medical professional stating they do not have COVID 19.
- Implementing social distancing breaking up our workforce, with non essential workers operating remotely from home.
9. How many movers will be present during my move during CoronaVirus (COVID-19) Executive Order New York City Shutdown?
Depending on the size of your move a minimum of 2 or 3 movers will arrive to complete your move. Our movers are trained to move you as quickly and safely as possible.
10. What is a contactless /contact free move?
A contactless or contact free move is a moving service that is performed with minimal human contact during the entire physical moving process of your move.
Prior to the COVID 19 outbreak and lockdown the physical moving process of your move would typically have frequent human contact during the pick up and drop off of your items, for example shaking hands and being present during the move within close distance.
With contactless moving the physical process of your move is delivered with minimal human contact.
You will still need to be present at the start and end of your move to allow your movers into the pick up and drop off location, and to also review the itemized itinerary list (bill of lading) before your items are loaded or unloaded. This can be performed with social distancing between yourself and the movers during this step of the process ,where you need to be present.
Here are some of the characteristics of a contact less move;
- No hand shaking
- 6 ft distancing between yourself and the movers
- The option to leave the premise once you have allowed your movers into the pick up and drop off location, and to also review the itemized itinerary list (bill of lading) before your items are loaded or unloaded.
- Paperless moving – no pens needed to sign contacts
- Phone call and text communication with your moving foreman during the move if you are in another room or have left the address during the move to practice social distancing
- Movers who are wearing masks and gloves and practicing social distancing and hand sanitization during each customer move
- Moving trucks that are cleaned and sanitized after every customer move
Moving is a physical service and still will require some human contact during the move day, but practicing social distance will protect yourself and your movers.
11. Does Piece of Cake Moving & Storage offer contactless moving during the COVID 19 lockdown?
Yes, Piece of Cake Moving & Storage is performing all of our moving services during the COVID 19 Lockdown as contactless moves, as outlined above. We are very understanding if a customer has a specific request regarding their contactless move. Please let us know prior to your move date so we can make a note for that requirement on the day.
Moving companies are considered essential business and services and therefore are able to operate under...
Take a look at our top tips for moving safely during the COVID 19 lockdown below, and talk to your movers...