10 tips for moving safely during the COVID-19 NYC shutdown
With most of the United States in COVID 19 Executive Order Lockdown until April 30 2020, life is continuing as normally as possible with the help of essential businesses.
Moving and Storage companies in the State of New York and other United States are recognized as “Essential Services”, where residential moves are continuing with people relocating to move in with family, leave dorms, shelter in another location or move into their holiday home for the foreseeable future.
If you need to make a residential move during the current New York “Shelter in Place” lockdown, it’s absolutely legal and possible with a few smart adjustments. Take a look at our top tips for moving safely during the COVID 19 lockdown below, and talk to your movers about how they are managing the health restrictions before you book your move in this period.
Piece of Cake Moving is busy helping individuals, couples and families move home for many essential reasons right now, such as financial stress, precommitted lease or settlement dates, to wanting to be with loved ones until the situation settles. This is why moving has been considered an “Essential Business” by the New York State Department of Opportunity under the categories of “Logistics” and “Storage” (source: governor.ny.gov).
Piece of Cake Moving has always been vigilant about the sanitization of our trucks and moving equipment. We have increased the sanitization of our vehicles after every move as well as the end of each day, our movers wear masks and gloves and regularly sanitize their hands, we screen our movers every day to make sure they are doing well physically and mentally and our regular briefings keep them up to date. You can find out more about what we have been doing to protect our customers, community and movers on our moving during COVID 19 FAQ page, which we are updating regularly for our customers.
From our experience there are some steps you can take to make your move a safe experience during the Executive Order shutdown.
Here are our top 10 tips on how to move safely during the COVID-19 NYC shutdown:
1. Confirm that your building is allowing moving companies in. This varies from building to building and may change week by week as Co-Ops hold virtual meetings and discuss the latest challenges. This applies to both your pick up address and your destination. Once they have both confirmed you can proceed, the normal procedures regarding booking a day and time can proceed. Moving is an essential service and you have a right to move out of your existing address and into your new address.
If you need to move urgently and need to inform your Building Management or Co-Op that moving is an “Essential Service” we have created the following letter to support you in that conversation. We have outlined that moving is essential under the current order and that Piece of Cake Moving & Storage will be able to move you safely and adhere to your buildings strict sanitization and social distancing requirements.
LETTER FROM THE CEO: MOVING SERVICES AN “ESSENTIAL SERVICES”
2. Have your packing supplies delivered so you don’t have to leave your house to buy boxes during the lockdown. Avoid using other people’s boxes in the recycling section of your building to reduce the risk of contamination from unknown sources.
3. Consider using your moving company’s full packing service, where they will pack your items for you, so you do not have to lift a finger. That will save you time during this period if you are working from home. If you decide to get your home packed ask your moving company to make sure the movers who are packing wear gloves and masks while they are in your home packing. Provide those movers with hand soap and disficant wipes so they can ensure that all surfaces are clean while they pack your items. You should sit in another room while your house is being packed.
4. Consider putting your large items in storage. You may only need your essential furniture items right now like your bed, desk, dining table etc. Other furniture items or boxes with seasonal belongings can go into storage during this period. This will allow you to free up space in your new home while you are in lockdown.
5. If you have been stockpiling non-perishable foods, make sure you take them into account in your inventory and determine whether they will move with you or you can safely give them away.
6. Speak to your movers about how they are managing sanitization and social distancing on site when they arrive. For example, once your movers arrive and begin loading or unloading your items you should stay in a part of the house that they do not enter until all rooms are cleared. Also ask your movers if they will wear gloves, masks and if hand sanitizers are provided in their trucks. When booking your move you should also ask how many movers will be moving you.
7. Keep at least 2 metres from your movers during the process, wear gloves or sanitize your hands regularly, and rely on phone communications to brief them when they arrive and when on route to your new home.
8. Don’t forget to leave hand sanitizer or wipes on your entry table and have antibacterial soap unpacked straight away in the kitchen and bathroom.
9. Avoid touching your face when you sneeze from dust while cleaning or packing.
10. Be generous with disinfectant when unpacking your belongings, we recommend wearing gloves and wiping individual items down before storing them in your cupboards.
There can’t be any housewarmings for a while, so sit tight. Be assured, moving during the COVID 19 NYC lockdown is possible, you just need to remain safety vigilant and ensure you choose movers you are committed to observing all the restrictions to protect you, their movers and the rest of the public. It’s not always possible to wait for the perfect moment, if you need to get moving, Piece of Cake Moving & Storage is standing by.
WE CAN STILL MOVE YOU. PIECE OF CAKE MOVING & STORAGE IS WORKING 24/7/365.
To get a guaranteed price for your move within minutes fill our ‘1 Minute Quote’ form below or call us at (212) 651 7273