Safest Towns in Long Island, NY
Those planning to relocate to Long Island may be looking for the best of both worlds: a waterfront suburban lifestyle adjacent to the hustle and bustle of the nearby metropolis. In addition to finding this balance, one of the major considerations in deciding where exactly in LI you’ll be moving to is often safety. This may be at the top of your location checklist regardless if you’re making the move on your own or with a family.
In order to inform your decision about which part of LI will be the right fit for you, you may want to consider the towns with the lowest number of reported crimes and cross-check with what other features and amenities you’re hoping to find in your new hometown.
What to consider when looking for what town meets your needs
As you prioritize safety in your quest for the right town for you, take some time to ask yourself some key questions to inform a shortlist of possible places for you in LI:
- What are your ideal area features and which are negotiable? Is sailing a passion and being by a marina desirable so you can spend your off-hours at the water’s edge? Are you hoping to have a lot to choose from when it comes to outdoor recreation in your new hometown? Would it be best if your commute into the city was as short and quick as possible? Or, could you stand to add some time to your daily drive or ride so that you can find just the right town for you? Knowing what you really want out of an area and what you have some wiggle-room on will help you whittle down the list of possible towns for you to check out.
- What about your budget? Many people seek out these residential areas in LI looking for a space to purchase, though there are still plenty of renters. Between towns and types of housing, you’ll see some variance in price. Getting a sense of what your bottom line is when it comes to what your monthly budget is will help you consider how you can find your ideal features that also are within your price range.
Five of the Safest Towns in Long Island
While LI’s Suffolk and Nassau counties publish crime statistics in different formats, the following list of towns are reporting some of the lowest crime numbers on the island. What you’ll notice is that these towns share a few commonalities. They’re largely residential areas with plenty of recreational options — and some unique spots all their own. For those who are hoping to find the right balance of city and suburban living while prioritizing safety, these Long Island towns are worth looking into:
- Brookhaven, Suffolk County
- Huntington, Suffolk County
- Islip, Suffolk County
- Great Neck, Nassau County
- Massapequa, Nassau County
Brookhaven, Suffolk County
- Crime information: 7th Precinct crime statistics
- The Town of Brookhaven, the only one in Suffolk County to stretch to both the north and south shores, is the most heavily populated town in the county. It’s situated about 50 miles from Manhattan. For its size, there’s a lot going on in this neck of the LI woods, including two major locations. One is the Brookhaven National Laboratory, which runs several nuclear, physics, neuroscience, and environmental programs on behalf of the U.S. Department of Energy. The other is Stony Brook University. So, if you find yourself working at or attending these institutions, you may decide to make yourself at home here. The area’s greenspaces will keep you busy on your off-hours though. Southaven County Park has a wealth of ways to spend your time from hiking, camping, fishing, rowboating, and hunting. Covering over 1,300 acres of pine-oak forest, the Carmans River runs through this scenic space. The numerous beaches in this part of LI are well known for surfing conditions, sailing, swimming, and fishing. For recreation options on land, you can check out what the Brookhaven Arts and Humanities Council has cooking. They host a number of events, including the annual Brookhaven Choral Festival as well as gallery exhibitions and workshops for all ages.
Huntington, Suffolk County
- Crime information: 2nd Precinct crime statistics
- This town on LI’s North shore is known for its suburban feel and proximity to Manhattan. For those who are looking to reside in LI but commute to the city, There are Long Island Railroad (LIRR) stops nearby in Northport and Cold Spring Harbor and bus service throughout town from the Huntington Area Rapid Transit. For those commuting by personal vehicle, there are several major roads accessible to get you where you need to go including the Northern State Parkway and the Long Island Expressway. But, if you’re hoping to enjoy what the town has to offer you, the good news is that there’s plenty. The Paramount Theatre is a great place to see live performances from major musical and comedy acts. Another well known gem in the town is the historical Oheka Castle. This Gold Coast mansion turned hotel is on the National Registry of Historic Places and has been the backdrop for a number of TV and film productions, including Citizen Kane. If you’re relocating from one of the five boroughs, you may be worried that you won’t be as close to celebrated art as you once were. Fret not! The Heckscher Museum of Art is worth a visit to appreciate world-renowned and local artistic talent. If you’re hoping to make a night of it on the town, you’ll be happy to know there’s a range of cuisines and price ranges to choose from in the area restaurants.
Islip, Suffolk County
- Crime information: 5th Precinct crime statistics
- Along LI’s south shore, you’ll find the third largest town in the state, comprised of four villages and twenty-four hamlets. With many marinas along the Great South Bay, you’ll find several ferry and water taxi services to get you to and from the island. If your travels take you farther out, Islip is also home to the MacArthur Airport (ISP) and it serves about 2 million flyers per year. When your schedule has you sticking close to home though, you won’t be at a loss for things to do. Pencil in some time to make a visit to the historic Fire Island Light House, with a timeline that dates back to the mid 1800s. It’s also the site of the annual Keepers Craft Tasting event for beer aficionados. For history buffs who can’t get enough of the landmarks and accounts of their new hometown, you can also make your way through the Historic Islip Trail. If after your history lesson you need to get up, get out, and stretch your legs, there’s a number of greenspaces and recreational areas in town, including the Central Islip Recreation Center and Casamento Pool. For those who live to putt on the green, there’s also several golf courses in the area, Gull Haven Golf Course being one of them.
Great Neck, Nassau County
- Crime information: 6th Precinct crime statistics
- With its waterfront views and access on the north shore of the island, you’ll begin to appreciate why this setting was the purported inspiration for F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby. As it stands now, it is a part of LI that has a relaxed, suburban feel away from the hustle and bustle of NYC. This diverse and family-oriented area has more homeowners than renters and the housing options vary, with a mix of bungalows, Tudor-style, and colonial-style homes. However, there are also apartments and condos for rent as well. In terms of commuting, you can take the LIRR from the Great Neck Station and you’ll be at Penn Station in about 30-40 minutes depending on your departure time. For the times you plan to be in town, you’ll appreciate what Great Neck has to offer its residents. Parkwood Sports Complex boasts a number of pools, tennis courts, and even an ice rink for you (and your family) to stay active. You can still enjoy a cultural experience right where you are at the Great Neck House that hosts concerts, art classes, and movie nights. To take advantage of the nearby waters, you can set sail at the marina in Steppingstone Park in the Long Island Sound — or you can learn how to at the Steppingstone Sailing School. If being at the helm of the boat isn’t for you, the park has other amenities including playgrounds and picnic areas. And though you won’t be too far away from the retail options in the city, the town’s Lakewood Road has plenty of restaurants and shops to find your next treasure or pick up a few necessities.
Massapequa, Nassau County
- Crime information: 7th Precinct crime statistics
- There’s very much a community vibe amongst the suburban sprawl in this town along the island’s south shore. Within its bounds, you’re likely to find a number of different style homes, including Cape Cod, ranch, colonial-style, craftsman-style, and Tudor-style houses — many of which have porches. It’s been said that some of the best parks are located in this part of LI and there are a lot of them. A visit to John J. Burns Park may lead you to a tennis match or enjoying a performance in their summer concert line-up. The town is also home to the Field of Dreams Park… which may sound familiar because it’s the one named after the Hollywood movie. Though it doesn’t have a baseball diamond, it does have turf that allows the same grounds to be used for a number of different sports so you can “Play Ball!!!” Speaking of this area’s claims to fame — you may want to go ahead and plan a stop at the All-American Burger drive-in restaurant. It’s affordable, classic menu will have you coming back time and time again. If your cravings or other reasons take you beyond the bounds of this town, you may be looking at a longer commute into the city — around an hour or so on the LIRR or driving — from this starting point.
If you’re trading in city livin’ for the Long Island life, you’ll be happy you partnered with the professionals at Piece of Cake Moving and Storage for your next move. As East coast moving experts, we’re well-prepared to move you from any part of the city to your new suburban home. We can support a little, by delivering moving supplies or with our plastic moving bin rental service, or a lot, with our Platinum Packing Experience and storage options. We’ve got you covered no matter where your move takes you or what you need to make it a smooth and stress-free experience.
Ready to make a move? Get in touch today for an obligation-free guaranteed flat price moving quote.