5 risks of hiring the cheapest movers
As soon as you’ve made the decision to make a move, dollar signs and big moving bills may start to dance inside your head. To temper relocation costs, it may be tempting to go with the moving company that provides the lowest quote.
However, you’ll be well-served to be an informed customer — one who’s aware of risks involved with hiring cheap movers and what to look out for to avoid a scam — before signing off on any estimate.
At Piece of Cake Moving & Storage, we’ll make sure you’re not playing a guessing game about your final bill or whether our movers live up to their reputation as professionals with the appropriate certifications and insurance.
What are the Possible Risks When Working with a Cheap Mover?
Maybe you’re a savvy shopper or you’re always on the hunt for a deal. No matter which you identify with more, you’re well served to carefully consider what a low moving quote might ACTUALLY cost you. It’s possible to find a gem of a professional moving company that can offer inexpensive help AND quality services. However, you may encounter risks if the movers aren’t the diamond in the rough you were hoping for. In any case, it’s key to making a sound decision about what is needed for relocating — especially with cheap movers.
Some risks to be wary of include:
- Hidden costs: Perhaps you got a particularly low-cost quote for your upcoming move. That should be a reason to be wary of any additional fees that may crop up. The last thing you want to be concerned about with your relocation is having to come up with more money than you anticipated to pay off your movers. Further, it wouldn’t be unheard of for movers who don’t have a track record of being transparent to hold your belongings until you pay up more.
- An untimely move: Shady movers may not be the timeliest or on-time at all. Having your move cancelled without enough notice — possibly even on the same day — could be one major issue with cheap movers who aren’t serious about providing quality service. If that’s the case, imagine factoring in what it’ll cost you (in time, money, and stress) to take time off of work, roll up your sleeves, and get the job done on your own. It’s also possible that once they leave to get to where you’re moving, they don’t arrive when expected to deliver your belongings. Reliable moving companies will never leave you in the lurch. For example, they’ll make sure that if a particular mover can’t make it on the day of your relocation, another one can be there so you don’t lose any time (or money) getting to your next destination.
- Damage to your stuff or missing items: Another reason why you may have gotten a low quote? Inexperienced movers. They may not have the expertise necessary to handle your furnishings, electronics, antiques, valuables, and fragile items — all of which require different types of care to ensure that they arrive intact. In addition to putting your belongings at risk, this may also result in scuffs, scrapes, breakage to the place you’re moving from and your new location. Inexperience may also mean that cheap movers don’t have the proper security measures in place, leaving your items vulnerable to go missing while they are being moved or in transit.
- Liability for damages: Not to say that it’s the case with all moving companies that issue a low-cost quote for your move, but it may be the case that cheap movers aren’t insured. If they don’t have the proper insurance, that could mean that any damage to your items that they handle in your move may be your responsibility and, in that event, that you have no recourse to get your items fixed, replaced, or to receive compensation for your belongings.
- Unnecessary stress: A small (initial) price tag may not be worth the potential for headaches, worries, and crises you may encounter having your move handled by some cheaper movers. Be it concern for fees that could crop up as your moving process goes on, issues with timeliness, or needing to be vigilant for any signs of a scam, carefully considering the cheaper moving options available will help reduce your moving-related stress.
Avoiding a “Gotcha!” Moment When Hiring Cheap Movers
Planning for your move doesn’t have to come at a cost to your well-being. To avoid a surprise or unanticipated add-on fees, make sure you’re taking a close look at professional moving companies that offer too-good-to-be-true, low prices. Ask questions!
Knowing what’s at risk when you make arrangements and getting clear on what charges will be included for the services can help you make the best decision for your move.
When comparing professional moving companies, you’ll be glad you checked out Piece of Cake Moving & Storage to help you with your move. Talk with us today to get your moving questions answered and get a quote you can bank on!
Ready to make a move? Get in touch today for an obligation free guaranteed flat rate fee moving quote.
Unexpected fees and costs that pile up can make anyone weak in the knees, especially when it comes to moving. Make sure to check out this guide before hiring a cheap moving company...