Moving you from New York to Virginia
Your piece of cake move starts with a free quote
Fill out the form below for a quick flat price quote
Experienced in moving you from NY to Virginia
Experienced in moving you from NY to Virginia
Moving from New York may have you missing the big city feel and the surrounding quaint country areas. From the history-rich Northern Virginia region, to scenic views on the Appalachian Trail, to the sun and sand of Virginia beach, you can get your metropolitan fix and head out for the country when the time calls for it.
As experienced East Coast moving professionals, Piece of Cake Moving and Storage regularly moves New Yorkers to all the major cities and towns of Virginia. With no move too big or too small, we’re ready to make moving to VA easy for couples, families, students, and professionals. Our moving supplies and services ranging from packing, furniture assembly, storage options, and more can make your relocation, well… a piece of cake!
Moving you to Virginia and all of its major cities and towns
Piece of Cake Moving and Storage moves New Yorkers to all the cities and towns in the Virginia. They include major centers such as:
- Colonial Heights
- Falls Church
- Front Royal
- Glen Allen
- Newport News
- South Hill
- Virginia Beach
- Washington, D.C.
Our top moving tips when moving to Virginia
When it comes to the weather, you’ll be happy to know that your New York wardrobe will likely remain useful in the Virginia climate. You’ll still experience all four seasons in this humid, sub-tropical climate, though the average weather is not too hot and not too cold.
If you live in the mountain regions, you may experience a bit less humidity and slightly lower temps (by about 10 degrees on average).
In rain, snow, or sun, traffic in Virginia can sometimes be heavy — especially the closer you get to Washington, DC. With any commuting you do, you’ll be sharing the roadways with about 8.6 million fellow Virginians. There’s quite a bit more to know about moving to this state beyond the traffic and weather reports, so you may be interested in learning more about:
- Cost of living: Overall, living in VA is slightly more expensive than the national average. The median home cost is $329,200 as compared to $291,700 national median home cost. For apartment dwellers, the average monthly rent ranges from $1,111 for a studio going all the way to about $2,030 for a four-bedroom abode. To consider how to pay for rent or a mortgage, the average salary in Virginia is $64,792. Speaking of take-home pay, income taxes in the state can range from 2% to 5.75% and are based on how much you make each year. It’s good to note that Virginia has reciprocity with Washington DC and several other states, including Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and West Virginia when it comes to income tax. Generally speaking, for those VA residents who commute outside of the state for work and do not have an abode in that other reciprocity state, you will only own income taxes in the state of Virginia.
- Peaks, valleys, and shores: There’s no shortage of beautiful scenery in this state. Starting on the sand, Virginia boasts about 38 miles of coastline. You’re likely to find a spot on the sand that suits your fancy. If you’re hoping for a hiking and sandy stroll hybrid, look no further than Virginia Beach’s First Landing State Park. For a truly unique experience, you can visit the Assateague Island National Seashore; in addition to a beach, the island is home to the Chincoteague Wildlife Refuge and the Chincoteague ponies that roam wild there. Speaking of beaches and four-legged creatures, Virginia also has several pet-friendly beaches so you can enjoy the changing tides with canine friends. To experience the “highs” and “lows” of the landscape, you can explore 217 miles of the state’s Blue Ridge Mountains and trek around the Shenandoah Valley region (home of Shenandoah National Park).
- Whole lotta history: As the 10th state in the union, Virginia is a place of much historical importance. To get up to speed, you can begin your journey back in time (to the 18th century) at the world’s largest outdoor living museum: Colonial Williamsburg. If you’re big on real estates with some real history, you can plan a visit to George Washington’s Mount Vernon and Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello to get a sense of life and happenings at their homesteads. The Appomattox Court House, the location of the end of the Civil War when the Army of Northern Virginia surrendered on April 9, 1985, may also be a must-see for Civil War buffs and history fanatics. Virginia is also the site of the Arlington National Cemetery, where over 14,000 service people have been laid to rest. And that’s just some of the history within the state boundaries; you may also want to check out the Virginia Museum of History and Culture for more once you’ve settled in.
- Local flavors: The taste of Virginia runs the gamut from snacks to sweets. Virginia peanuts may be a feature on menus and heralded as a gourmet crunchy treat. This local delicacy is actually it’s own peanut variety, being the kind you often find in the shell rather than in a jar. You may need a tool to crack open some of the state’s other specialties, because there are plenty of local crab and oysters to dine on. Another area treat you may come across are fried pies, a hand-held confection typically filled with fruit. There’s also a dish that comes with a bit of contention: Brunswick stew. Originally made with long-simmered squirrel and corn, the origins of this recipe are claimed by both Brunswick County, Virginia and Brunswick, Georgia. Perhaps you can make your own judgment call after ordering a bowl. If you need something to wash it all down, look no further than Virginia’s wine country.
- Weird laws: Virginia has some wacky and interesting laws on the books. For instance, trick-or-treating is illegal for those over a certain age (typically between 12 and 14 years old) in some parts of the state. And, hunting on Sundays for any fur-bearing animals is illegal on public lands… except for raccoons. Certain cities have some interesting legal restrictions as well. Perhaps you didn’t know that it’s illegal to wash a mule on the sidewalk in Culpeper, VA. In Norfolk, it’s also illegal to spit on seagulls. If you’re trying to figure out who will pay for the coffee date in Richmond, it’s illegal to flip a coin to do it. It’s good to note that enforcement may vary between localities.
“New York Knicks
“USA #1 Mover”
Don’t just take our word for it,
see our customer reviews
From start to finish my move was a great experience. I immediately got a quote. The scheduling was easy, and they provided me with information regarding insurance coverage (and took care of the paperwork my building provided). The move itself went like clockwork. The movers arrived on time and texted me when they were on their way with an ETA to the delivery site. They moved everything up the 3 flights of stairs into my apartment quickly and safely. A great company that provides great service at very reasonable rates.
I was amazed how efficient the guys were. they sorted out my items to be removed and, went straight to work. We will definitely use A Piece of Cake multiple times in the future until, we officially make the BIG MOVE! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP....YES, IT WAS A PIECE OF CAKE! NO STRESS INVOLVED...JUST SWEET SERVINGS.....
Was very easy to call and set up a move. The price was good to. I had some mix-ups and needed to add items and even change the date, but they were able to easily accommodate. Day of the move the crew was super nice and professional. They quickly packed up the entire apartment with ease, I didn't really lift a finger. They made what is usually a stressful day pretty easy.
They came at zero hour after the moving company I initially hired and paid a deposit to canceled. I was freaking out about my move not happening at all but they did get this done and my stuff arrived more or less intact and accounted for. They handled changes and snafus gracefully and earned their money. Hopefully I won't be moving again for a long time but if I get forced into that again, I'll remember this experience.
They were awesome! They take everything apart and then re assemble for you.They wrap up your tvs and glass shit professionally. They take the legs off your couch so it fits through doors. Everything's wrapped until it's inside so it doesn't ruin the paint on your walls if they rub against them.Not even a wine glass was chipped.
Excellent moving company. I hired 2 men for 2 hours to complete 1 bedroom move. They arrived early, were extremely efficient, helpful, personable, strong, and careful. They finished the job with 45 min to spare. Everything went extremely smoothly. I would hire Piece of Cake again.
Nicholas and Giga made this moving experience an easy one, especially since I was moving alone. They were punctual, kind and very thoughtful. When we arrived to my apartment? They helped unwrap all the packing tape and set up my furniture and bed - something that would take probably days for me. They delivered excellent service and went beyond my expectations.
Jose and his team did a great job moving my husband and I. They arrived on time and were very organized. They were professional, courteous and moved us quickly. They wrapped our furniture very well. They took apart and put together our bed and sectional couch. We were very pleased and would recommend them.
Piece of Cake Moving was phenomenal to work with. From the initial sale, to the follow up, to the day of delivery. The moving crew themselves were a dream to work with. I honestly don't know how they managed to move everything we'd accumulated over the years in such a short (relatively) period of time. Will definitely use them again (in hopefully 7-8 years).
Great move with POC movers! I rented their pink bins which was an excellent choice, they provide plenty of packing paper, zip ties, and tags. My team arrived right at the start of their arrival window and quickly and safely packed all my bins and furniture into their truck. The team just as efficiently unloaded everything, leaving the bins in the labeled rooms and re assembling my bed frame. I definitely recommend renting their bins. I would definitely use Piece of Cake movers again and recommend them to a friend.
The movers were so professional, friendly and quick. They took such great care of my stuff. I happened to move on one of the hottest days of the year and felt so bad. They were gracious and so still worked quickly. Pls make sure you tip your movers good, they work hard and were really great!
I had made an appointment from another moving company that completely screwed me over the day of. I called every moving company in New York freaking out, and Piece of Cake was willing to come at 7pm to help me move, last minute. I genuinely don't know what I would have done if they didn't go out of their way to fit me in. Anytime in the future I will be using piece of cake moving! They boxed and unboxed so fast and efficiently, it was amazing!
Moving Tips and FAQs
Always ready to lend a hand, our moving tips and FAQ
will help make your move day a smooth experience
Decluttered But Still No Space? A Storage Space Might Be a Solution!
Moving Soon? 6 Alternatives to Lugging Your Stuff to a Storage unit
7 Way Storage Units can help Transition to Tiny Home Life
7 Way Storage Units can help Transition to a smaller apartment