Experienced in moving you from NY to Portland OR
Experienced in moving you from NY to Portland OR
Though moving to Portland may come with a slower pace than what you’re used to in NYC, what you’ll gain is more time for chatting with remarkably friendly folks between trips out into the rain. Moving westward doesn’t mean you’ll be lacking in many attributes you may have loved about living in NYC though. Portland is well known for its liberal attitudes and counterculture vibes. You’ll also enjoy plenty of big city amenities in arts, entertainment, history, public transportation — but will also be adjacent to some remarkable natural scenes to explore.
As you carefully prune and pack up your belongings for your move, Piece of Cake Moving and Storage can take the lead on the logistics for your relocation to the City of Roses. We are well-versed on cross-country moves but you don’t have to take our word for it. Peruse our 5-star reviews and you soon find that our top-rated services, plus our flat fee, will make moving a breeze and put your mind at ease. Let us take the work out of the task ahead, so you can stop and smell the beautiful blooms Portland is famous for sooner!
Moving you to Portland OR and all of its major cities and towns
Piece of Cake Moving and Storage moves New Yorkers to all the cities and towns in the Portland OR. They include major centers such as:
- 28th Avenue
- 42nd Avenue
- Alberta Arts District
- Central Eastside
- Goose Hollow
- Jade District
- Johns Landing
- Multnomah Village
- Northwest/ Nob Hill
- Old Town Chinatown
- Pearl District
- Sandy Boulevard
- South Waterfront
- St. John
Our top moving tips when moving to Portland OR
Make sure to pack your rain gear. Rainfall is common in this PNW hub with an average of 36 inches per year (just under the average for another rainy city: Seattle, WA).
The trade-off when it comes to climate is that the winters are milder than they often are in New York. The coldest winter month is December, with a temperature ranging from a low of 35 degrees Fahrenheit (F) to a high of 46 degrees F. Summers are characterized as warm and dry. July and August are the hottest months of the summer, with an average high temp of about 81 degrees F.
You’ll stomp around this city toting your umbrella with 652,503 fellow Portlanders. But, you may decide you’re only happy when it rains with the many things this part of the country officers:
- Cost of living. While Portland doesn’t come quite as close to the cost of living in NYC, it is still over the national average. Housing and transportation are at the top of the highest costs for those living in the city. That said, healthcare and utility costs are below average. When it comes to taxes, you’ll have highs and lows as well. Those living in Portland don’t have to do any mental gymnastics at the register to calculate an additional cost for products because there’s no sales tax collected. That said, personal income taxes are among the highest in the country. However, city residents voted on using said funds for Preschool for All and Supportive Housing Services in the city. To put these factors into perspective, the US Census reports the most recent median household income to be around $73k. Taking that number into consideration and knowing that housing is a big cost in the city, you’ll want to decide whether renting or owning is best for you. Renting a one-bedroom apartment in Portland runs about $1,680 per month for an average of 755 square feet. It’s a bargain compared to the average rent in Manhattan at $4265 for just under the same square footage. Buying a home isn’t cheap, but is definitely cheaper than many NYC abodes. The current median house listing price is at $550k at a rate of $338 per square foot.
- Commuting & Getting Around.> Whether you’re walking, biking, riding, or driving, Portland has many options when it comes to getting from one part of the city to another. This is especially the case with public transit. With the city’s TriMet pass, you can ride the buses, MAX Light rail, WES commuter rail, or Portland Streetcar for $2.50 for 2.5 hours or $5 a day. Ride high above it all on the Aerial Tram coming in at $5.65 per roundtrip ride. If you’d rather get where you’re going on two wheels, the city has lots of bike paths and many resources for bike riders. Portland City government provides info on bike care, bike maps, suggested rides, and even bike classes! If you’d rather keep your own personal vehicle, you can certainly drive to where you’re going. However, it’s good to know that you’ll have to keep your hand off the pump at the gas station. Much like drivers in New Jersey, gas stations are not currently self-service in Portland.
- Lively libations. No matter which way you pour it, this city’s got something brewing up (or fermenting) for you. If you start out your day with coffee, Portland’s got more than your major names in java shops. For a charming cup with a side of orange and olive oil vegan donuts, look no further than Cathedral Coffee around the University of Portland. Or, maybe you’re looking for something special, like a coffee mocktail to enjoy in the early afternoon. If so, Either/or may be right up your alley. Looking for beverages of the boozy variety may be overwhelming for some. There are around 60 microbreweries (no wonder they call it “Beervana”) and about 460 wineries in the area. If you’re looking to lift your glass with some distilled spirits, then you may want to head over to Portland’s Central Eastside neighborhood to sample what’s on offer in Distillery Row. There, you’ll find a number of spirit purveyors nearby to try.
- Job Market & Key Industries. If you’ll be seeking out employment once you relocate to this neck of the Pacific Northwest, you may want to know a bit about what’s big in industry out there. The good news is that in the Portland-Vancouver, WA area, the unemployment rate is just about the same as the national unemployment rate at 3.9%. And, the general workforce in the city is quite educated, with 91% having a high school diploma and almost a third having a bachelor’s degree or higher. Now, on to the industries! Some of the key industries include Apparel and Outdoor, Bioscience, Climate Technology, Computers and Electronics, Design and Media, Food and beverage, Metals and Machinery, and Software. You’ll also see some familiar names among the top employers in the city. Leading the “Silicon Forest” efforts are Intel and Tektronix. In the apparel and outdoor business, you’ll find Nike, Adidas, and Columbia Sportswear at the top of the list. If you’re in the banking business, both US Bank and Wells Fargo are high up on the list of largest employers as well.
- Into the wild. Living as a Portlander puts you right in the middle of a bustling city and nearby to wonders of the flora and fauna kind. For instance, migrating salmon rely on the city’s rivers and streams to get to and from the ocean. So, for those who enjoy viewing or fishing for these creatures, opportunities abound locally. There’s also a plethora of waterfalls, ocean, and mountains to explore. Bask in the majestic falls tumbling down at the Columbia River Gorge. You’ll feel good about making your way to find a good view of Mount Hood, Mount St. Helens, and Mount Adams from Council Crest or Mount Tabor Parks. For a little fun for the whole family, you’ll find the Oregon Zoo, the Portland Japanese Garden, picnic tables, and playgrounds at Washington Park. Worth of its own mention, the Park is also home to over 10,000 individual roses at the International Rose Test Garden — a site that instantly reminds you why the city’s nickname is the City of Roses.
“New York Knicks
“USA #1 Mover”
Don’t just take our word for it,
see our customer reviews
Less than 1 month ago I decided to move to Portland and I was desperate to once again have to pack all my stuff and move to another city. When I found Piece of Cake in NYC all my despair ended not only did they provide quality service at a great price, they also made me feel safe from the first contact! having strangers in my house was a big challenge for me because of PTSD and social phobia and Piece of Cake made it SO MUCH easier
From start to finish my move was a great experience. I immediately got a quote. The scheduling was easy, and they provided me with information regarding insurance coverage (and took care of the paperwork my building provided). The move itself went like clockwork. The movers arrived on time and texted me when they were on their way with an ETA to the delivery site. They moved everything up the 3 flights of stairs into my apartment quickly and safely. A great company that provides great service at very reasonable rates.
They were awesome! They take everything apart and then re assemble for you.They wrap up your tvs and glass shit professionally. They take the legs off your couch so it fits through doors. Everything's wrapped until it's inside so it doesn't ruin the paint on your walls if they rub against them.Not even a wine glass was chipped.
They came at zero hour after the moving company I initially hired and paid a deposit to canceled. I was freaking out about my move not happening at all but they did get this done and my stuff arrived more or less intact and accounted for. They handled changes and snafus gracefully and earned their money. Hopefully I won't be moving again for a long time but if I get forced into that again, I'll remember this experience.
Was very easy to call and set up a move. The price was good to. I had some mix-ups and needed to add items and even change the date, but they were able to easily accommodate. Day of the move the crew was super nice and professional. They quickly packed up the entire apartment with ease, I didn't really lift a finger. They made what is usually a stressful day pretty easy.
I was amazed how efficient the guys were. they sorted out my items to be removed and, went straight to work. We will definitely use A Piece of Cake multiple times in the future until, we officially make the BIG MOVE! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP....YES, IT WAS A PIECE OF CAKE! NO STRESS INVOLVED...JUST SWEET SERVINGS.....
Piece of Cake Moving was phenomenal to work with. From the initial sale, to the follow up, to the day of delivery. The moving crew themselves were a dream to work with. I honestly don't know how they managed to move everything we'd accumulated over the years in such a short (relatively) period of time. Will definitely use them again (in hopefully 7-8 years).
Jose and his team did a great job moving my husband and I. They arrived on time and were very organized. They were professional, courteous and moved us quickly. They wrapped our furniture very well. They took apart and put together our bed and sectional couch. We were very pleased and would recommend them.
Nicholas and Giga made this moving experience an easy one, especially since I was moving alone. They were punctual, kind and very thoughtful. When we arrived to my apartment? They helped unwrap all the packing tape and set up my furniture and bed - something that would take probably days for me. They delivered excellent service and went beyond my expectations.
Excellent moving company. I hired 2 men for 2 hours to complete 1 bedroom move. They arrived early, were extremely efficient, helpful, personable, strong, and careful. They finished the job with 45 min to spare. Everything went extremely smoothly. I would hire Piece of Cake again.
Great move with POC movers! I rented their pink bins which was an excellent choice, they provide plenty of packing paper, zip ties, and tags. My team arrived right at the start of their arrival window and quickly and safely packed all my bins and furniture into their truck. The team just as efficiently unloaded everything, leaving the bins in the labeled rooms and re assembling my bed frame. I definitely recommend renting their bins. I would definitely use Piece of Cake movers again and recommend them to a friend.
I had made an appointment from another moving company that completely screwed me over the day of. I called every moving company in New York freaking out, and Piece of Cake was willing to come at 7pm to help me move, last minute. I genuinely don't know what I would have done if they didn't go out of their way to fit me in. Anytime in the future I will be using piece of cake moving! They boxed and unboxed so fast and efficiently, it was amazing!